1) To register your username and blog, go to the UMW Blogs homepage, and click the Create a New Account link.
2) On the registration form, enter a username and your UMWe-mail address (@umw.edu or @mail.umw.edu). Read the Terms of Service and check the I Agree box. Finally, make sure the Gimme a site! radio button is selected.
3) Click on the Next button, and enter a domain and name for your site. Additionally, you may select privacy settings. Keep the default values if you would like a fully public domain.
The domain is the part that goes before UMWBlogs.org in the URL for your site; if you would like your site URL to be http://classdemo.umwblogs.org, then you would enter “classdemo.” Your domain must be unique, can only contain numbers and letters (no spaces or punctuation), and cannot be changed once you have created it. Choose carefully!
The name of your site can contain any types of characters, including punctuation and space, and can easily be changed after the fact.
Also pay attention to the privacy options on this page; choose Yes if you want your blog to be easily findable via search engines (e.g. Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc) and choose No if you do not want your blog to be easily findable via search engines.
The next three visibility settings are arranged from least private to most private:
- Visible only to registered users of this network: allows only users with a UMW Blogs account to view your site.
- Visible only to registered registered users of this site: allows only users registered on your site to view your site.
- Visible only to administrators of this site setting allows only administrators on your site to view your site. (Most private)
(Please note that if you are in a course where your site’s content is automatically “feeding” into a course site, you must keep your site fully public.)
4) Click the Signup button, and you will receive an email with a confirmation link.
5) Log into your UMW email address and click the confirmation link. Once you’ve clicked this link to confirm your email address, you will be provided with your initial UMW Blogs password, and can log in immediately to your new blog. If you do not click the confirmation link within two days, you will have to re-register.